I found myself trying out some pumpkin bread recipes and altering the recipe again. Ha! I know. My version is written below and I much prefer it to the original. It’s slightly healthier with the whole wheat flour, but also less healthy as I’ve made a caramel maple icing for it. 🙂
This was an awesome way to use some of the pumpkin puree that I made earlier this year from those beautiful Long Island Cheese pumpkins. The batter was delicious and the baked bread even more so. This is wonderful with a cup of tea or a glass of milk. Don’t skimp on the spices either!
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
Caviar from 1 vanilla bean OR 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (start with one cup and add more if glaze is too runny)
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 2 8″ loaf pans with butter from the wrapper and set aside. I also line the bottom with a bit of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
2) Meanwhile, in a bowl cream the butter and sugar. Then add eggs,pumpkin, and vanilla and beat well again. Add spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and beat well again. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in flour, until well-mixed.
3) Pour the bread mixture equally between the two prepared pans. Bake for approx. 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean or with a couple moist crumbs (not wet). Cool for about 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4) While bread cools, make your glaze: in a small saucepan, heat butter and maple syrup over medium-low heat until melted. Then stir in the powdered sugar and cook at a soft boil for 20-30 seconds to thicken.
5) Pour the caramel icing IMMEDIATELY over the top of the pumpkin loaf and let it set. The icing will set very fast so you need to work quickly.
6) Cut into slices and serve!