I love making vanilla extract. It’s simple, has great flavor, and is cheaper per ounce than buying it in the store. I usually buy my beans at beanilla.com, but be warned that supplies rise and fall as the vanilla beans are harvested from an orchid variety and subject to the weather like every other crop.
- Wash and dry your bottles (you can find them many places)
- Buy vodka (my favorite is Sobieski, but I settled for Beau Clair this time)
- Buy your vanilla beans.
- Slice 5 beans from tip to tip without slicing into halves. (For double strength extract, add 10 total beans to the bottle)
- Fill bottle with vodka. Then cap tightly.
- Place in a cool, dark place (like the back of a cabinet) for a minimum of 3 months.
There you go! Now you too can make your own vanilla extract.